How Do You Detect a Gas Leak?
Need gas leak repairs? Gas in its natural form is actually odourless, however, gas suppliers add a chemical to the fuel to give it a strong odour. This is referred to as a rotten egg smell, which is one of the first signs to indicate a gas leak. There are other indicators to look out for that may signal to you that there is a gas leak. These include:
- Hissing or whistling noises from a gas appliance
- No hot water (if operating a gas continuous flow or gas storage hot water system)
- Changes in the colour of your gas pilot light
- Your gas pilot light keeps extinguishing
- Patches of dry grass or bubbling water on your property for no apparent reason
- Higher than average gas bills, with no known reason
- Health issues, such as headaches, nausea, confusion, fatigue, breathlessness or vomiting – especially if you were feeling fine before you entered your property or before using a certain gas appliance
If you notice any of the above indicators of a gas leak, call Metropolitan Plumbing for a prompt gas leak and repair service. A doctor should be consulted if you continue to experience health issues.
If You Suspect a Gas Leak
Gas is an efficient and economical fuel source to use for your home heating needs. It is often used for hot water, cooking, room heating or even to heat up your swimming pool.
Due to its highly flammable nature, gas leaks can be dangerous. You should do the following to protect your home and family if you detect a gas leak:
- Turn off your gas and electricity at the meter (if you are able to)
- Open as many windows and doors as possible to ventilate your home
- Do not operate any electrical items including light switches
- Never use fans to try and help with the ventilation
- Do not use a telephone or torch in the immediate area of the leak
- Never use an open flame
- Go outside to a well-ventilated area far away from the suspected leak
Fixing a gas leak is not a DIY job. You will need a qualified gas fitter who can assess the situation and then fix it safely.
Metropolitan Plumbing Can Carry Out Gas Leak Detection
Here at Metropolitan Plumbing, our fully qualified and licensed gas fitters have the experience, skills and tools to determine if there is a gas leak on your property. They will use a range of tools and techniques to isolate the cause of the leak then recommend the best solution for you.
One of the first tools the plumber will use is the manometer, which is used for detecting drops in pressure in your network.
If the manometer has confirmed a gas leak, the exact location and cause will need to be established. To do this, every gas appliance and length of gas pipe will be isolated. Each section of the pipe will then be tested with the manometer to identify where the inconsistent pressure is coming from. Upon finding the section, the pipes or appliances in that section are examined to determine the gas fitting or fixture that’s leaking. Once the gas leak has been repaired or the faulty gas appliance replaced, the exact location will be retested with the manometer to make sure there are no more gas pressure discrepancies. This ensures your home or office is once again safe to enter.
How We Repair Gas Leaks
Depending on the gas leak, the damaged pipe will need to be repaired or replaced. If it’s just a small crack or a faulty connection, it will be easy and inexpensive to fix.
However, significant damage may require a replacement, which is much more expensive. Metropolitan Plumbing will provide a no-obligation quote before any works are undertaken. Each of our qualified gas plumbers has the training and experience working with various pipe materials, including copper, PEX and galvanised. They will be able to replace your damaged gas piping with minimal downtime.
For a gas leak that’s being caused due to a faulty appliance, the situation is much the same. All of our gas fitting professionals have a large range of spare parts on their vans at all times. We can usually get less common parts quickly too, so we should be able to repair any leaking gas appliance. If the problem with your gas appliance is too serious though, we may recommend a replacement. We are often able to supply and install these for you.
Interest Free Gas Leak Repairs
When it comes to gas, act immediately if you suspect there is a problem. Contact Metropolitan Plumbing for a fully qualified and licensed gas fitter 24/7. If money is a worry, take advantage of our interest free payment plans**. These plans require no deposit and can be managed in a way that suits you.
Contact us today for more information.
Our Plumbing Service Areas
We service all metropolitan suburbs of: