The Dangers of a Gas Leak
Gas is an efficient and economical fuel source to use for your home heating needs. It is often used for hot water, cooking, room heating or even to heat up your swimming pool.
Due to its highly flammable nature, gas leaks can be incredibly dangerous. Additionally, health complications from gas exposure are also very serious.
While it is naturally odourless, a chemical compound has been added to gas which gives it the recognisable rotten egg, sulphur-like smell.
Alongside a strong gas smell, there are several other indicators of a gas leak, including:
- Hissing or whistling noises from a gas appliance
- Inconsistent hot water from your gas hot water system
- Your gas pilot light colour changes or it keeps extinguishing
- Patches of dry grass or bubbling water on your property for no apparent reason
- Higher than average gas bills for no reason
If you suspect a gas leak – or just want to have any appliances serviced – contact Metropolitan Plumbing today. We are available 24/7 in all metro areas for your convenience.