Understanding Burst Water Pipes
A burst water pipe can be a sudden, unexpected plumbing problem. Several factors can cause pipes to burst, including:
- General wear and tear: Over time, water pipes endure general wear, making the possibility of a water leak or a burst more likely to occur.
- Poor installation: Sub-standard installation can weaken the pipe walls, increasing the likelihood of leaks or complete bursts happening.
- High water pressure: A sudden increase in water pressure or consistently high pressure can place stress on your pipes, resulting in a likely burst.
- Extreme temperatures: Pipes can burst if the water inside them freezes and causes them to expand.
- Tree roots: These can infiltrate your water pipes, causing blocked pipes or even bursts.
Understanding why pipes burst can be your first step in preventative maintenance or knowing when to call a plumber should things go wrong.