How Carbon Monoxide Testing Could Save Your Life
Now that our heating systems are running more, it is important to think about the risk carbon monoxide can pose. Carbon monoxide is an odourless and colourless gas that is produced when things aren’t fully burnt. Continual exposure to it can result in serious harm, so it is necessary that you consider a detector test.
Carbon monoxide detectors have been around since 1993 and they can be installed in your home easily. Alternatively, you can hire an expert plumber to conduct a carbon monoxide test.
Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are similar to those of the flu. This is why many people miss the signs of CO poisoning. Some of the main symptoms include:
- Dull headache
- Nausea or vomiting
- Shortness of breath
- Blurred vision
- Loss of consciousness
Because of the odourless nature of carbon monoxide, you may be unaware that your property has levels that are too high.
Who is at risk?
Everyone. Nobody is immune to the silent killer. However, there is some evidence to suggest that individuals with breathing problems, the elderly and infants are most susceptible to CO poisoning.
Because of the undetectable nature of carbon monoxide, falling asleep and being intoxicated in a CO heavy environment could be fatal. If you are worried about the risk of carbon monoxide, it is best to take action sooner, rather than later.
Preventing Carbon Monoxide Leaks
Battery-operated CO detectors and carbon monoxide tests are the best places to start. Regular servicing of all gas appliances can, of course, increase safety.
All new appliances should undergo gas appliance commissioning, where they are tested to ensure there are no leaks, they are well-ventilated, gas pressure has been set correctly, and more.
When purchasing a new gas appliance, you should be sure that it meets Australian standards and has a national testing agency seal.
If you suspect a gas leak, and you can’t identify the source, you should get out immediately and contact a licensed gas fitter. At Metropolitan Plumbing, our plumbers operate 24/7, every day of the year and can even be at your door within the hour*. If you know the source of your gas leak, you can turn off the appliance until a professional can arrive to inspect it.
Making sure your gas appliances are vented properly is also an important way to prevent trouble with carbon monoxide. Horizontal vent pipes for appliances allow CO to dissipate outside your home. It is important to never patch up a vent pipe with tape or foreign objects. This can cause CO to build up in your home because it has no way to escape.
Where You Can Find Carbon Monoxide
Carbon monoxide or CO is produced from fuel-burning appliances such as stoves, clothes dryers, water heaters, fireplaces (both gas and wood), grills, generators, power tools and motor vehicles.
However, it is most commonly emitted from gas heaters. The build-up can occur indoors and can poison both humans and animals.
If you wish to find out more information about our carbon monoxide testing service, you can contact the team at Metropolitan Plumbing today.
Published: 17 Jun, 2020